The Legal Examiner Affiliate Network The Legal Examiner The Legal Examiner The Legal Examiner search instagram avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close The Legal Examiner The Legal Examiner The Legal Examiner
Skip to main content

With snow falling in the high country and weather all over Colorado becoming chilly, more people are likely to fall victim to carbon monoxide poisoning. The tragic death of a mother and her young daughter last week in Lafayette, Colorado is suspected to have resulted from exhaust fumes in the closed garage. Police, who said there was an "overwhelming" smell of exhaust fumes in the garage, suspect that the two died of carbon-monoxide poisoning.

Remember that the primary purpose of your car’s exhaust system is to carry off carbon monoxide and other harmful gases produced by the engine. Colorado AAA recommends that you have a mechanic check your exhaust system for leaks in order to minimize the chances of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is odorless, very hard to detect, and it can quickly cause death. If your car is stuck in the snow and you have the engine running, open a window slightly and clear snow away from the exhaust pipe.

And never warm up your vehicle in an enclosed space, such as a garage, or leave your vehicle unattended with the engine running.

Comments for this article are closed.