The Legal Examiner Affiliate Network The Legal Examiner The Legal Examiner The Legal Examiner search feed instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

A carbon monoxide leak was to blame when a tour bus headed for Reno had to make an emergency stop when several passengers became ill, according to California Highway Patrol. Officials reported that 13 of more than 50 passengers were transported to the hospital for medical treatment.

While in New York, carbon monoxide is being blamed for the death of a restaurant manager at a Long Island Mall. Which also led to the hospitalization of twenty-seven people which included seven first responders.

Carbon monoxide (CO), also known as the silent killer, is responsible for an estimated 400 deaths per year and 20,000 hospital visits, according to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. Below are some important facts you need to know to ensure your safety.

Carbon Monoxide Facts

CO is a deadly, colorless, odorless, poisonous gas which means it can’t be seen or smelled and therefore poses a serious health risk, including death.

Carbon monoxide leaks can be caused by several sources including automobile exhaust (in garages), gas space heaters and leaking furnaces.

When too much CO is taken in, it limits the amount of oxygen needed which can result in serious tissue damage.

Carbon Monoxide Safety

There are instances in which CO problems are slow to develop and as such victims mistake their symptoms for the flu. When CO levels are high and rapid, mental confusion is quicker and as result the victim may lose muscle control and succumb to poisoning. The good news is that it can be prevented and detected.

The most important thing you can do is install a carbon monoxide detector in the hallway near every area of the home where people sleep. In the instance of the Long Island man that died, it shows that CO detectors should also be used in any building or establishment that is at risk.

Comments are closed.