Kids across the country are finishing up their last days of school to start summer vacation. As such, there tends to an increase in serious injuries, especially to children, during these months.
For that reason we thought it would be good to write a post about Summer Safety and to highlight some of the most common things to be wary of to ensure a fun but safe summer for everyone!
At the Playground
- Make sure slides are cool to prevent burns.
- Children should have shoes on at all times on the playground.
- Parents should supervise children on play equipment at all times.
- While playing, kids should always slide feet first and swing sitting down.
General Summer Tips
- When lawnmowers are in use, keep kids indoors or a safe distance away.
- Keep young kids several feet from campfires, grills or fire pits.
- Swim only when an adult is present. Always wear a lifejacket on open water.
- Wear sunscreen to protect from sunburn.
- Wear a bicycle helmet while bicycle riding at all times.
For more detailed Summer Safety Tips, please refer to 2016 Summer Safety Tips from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
The Legal Examiner and our Affiliate Network strive to be the place you look to for news, context, and more, wherever your life intersects with the law.