Trauma to the spinal cord can result in permanent changes in the way the body functions below the injured area, according to the Mayo Clinic.
Body functions affected by spinal cord injuries can include:
- Bladder and bowel control
- Skin sensations, including heat, cold and pressure
- Circulatory control, which can cause low or high blood pressure, swelling of the extremities and can increase the risk of blood clots
- Respiratory system, which can result in difficulty breathing or coughing and an increased risk of pneumonia or other lung problems
- Muscle tone, including uncontrolled tightening or motion in the muscles or soft limp muscles
- Sexual function and fertility
Coping with the life-changing effects of spinal cord injury can also lead to depression, according to the Mayo Clinic.
A person’s life is forever changed when they suffer s spinal cord injury in a car crash or a slip and fall accident, and the situation can be even worse when the injury resulted from the careless actions of another.
Whether a person’s spinal cord injury occurred as a result of an auto accident, a slip and fall, or another personal injury situation, the victim should not be left to bear the emotional and financial burden alone. A spinal cord injury lawyer can voice the victim’s pain in the courtroom and obtain compensation for injuries that never should have happened.
The Legal Examiner and our Affiliate Network strive to be the place you look to for news, context, and more, wherever your life intersects with the law.